Community Code of Conduct

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro.net at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:53:34 AEDT 2018

You are absolutely right to ask these questions, and I'm sure each
community will want to fine-tune it, although as a community manager I
actually prefer some of the vagueness in it. It is normal to add to a CoC
to try to cover all the bases, but people will always think up ways to
violate the spirit of the rule while staying within the letter. For a
positive community (like openbmc) the CoC is a guideline for new users,
rather than legislation for behavior, as it should be.

The best offense is a good community manager who can set the tone, with an
escalation path to a TSC or governing board, whichever is appropriate for a
given community. Ideally it would never be used - it never has been needed
in almost 8 yrs of the Yocto Project, as the leaders simply set a tone of
respect.

That's a really good question of harassment outside. Technically it is
private conversation, or outside the project's boundaries. If I were
community mgr in that case, I would have a frank conversation with the
harasser and let them know that simply isn't the way escalation is done in
this project, then provide the proper way and make sure their concern is
answered while respecting both sides. That being said, being hands-on
doesn't scale up to thousands of participants.

One more tidbit - this is the same CoC adopted by the kernel community and
several other high profile communities, so there is precedent within the
wider open source community for it. One thing I like quite a lot about it
is that it is itself open source - if I find a bug with it, I can submit a
pull request to the CoC itself.

I hope this is helpful to the process and not disruptive  :)