Community Code of Conduct

Emily Shaffer emilyshaffer at google.com
Thu Oct 11 01:03:20 AEDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:53 PM Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro.net at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You are absolutely right to ask these questions, and I'm sure each
> community will want to fine-tune it, although as a community manager I
> actually prefer some of the vagueness in it. It is normal to add to a CoC
> to try to cover all the bases, but people will always think up ways to
> violate the spirit of the rule while staying within the letter. For a
> positive community (like openbmc) the CoC is a guideline for new users,
> rather than legislation for behavior, as it should be.

As long as we're aware that there's a line to tread with the vagueness, I
don't mind. IMO one of the points is to highlight to community members what
is and isn't abusive language, so having a code that's too vague opens the
door for a victim to be gaslit out of realizing there is a problem going
on.  I don't feel that's an issue with this Contributor Covenant.

> The best offense is a good community manager who can set the tone, with an
> escalation path to a TSC or governing board, whichever is appropriate for a
> given community. Ideally it would never be used - it never has been needed
> in almost 8 yrs of the Yocto Project, as the leaders simply set a tone of
> respect.

+1000. Like I said at the outset, I don't think this is to address a
problem happening now, so much as it is to codify our current positive
culture and cover ourselves for later.

> That's a really good question of harassment outside. Technically it is
> private conversation, or outside the project's boundaries. If I were
> community mgr in that case, I would have a frank conversation with the
> harasser and let them know that simply isn't the way escalation is done in
> this project, then provide the proper way and make sure their concern is
> answered while respecting both sides. That being said, being hands-on
> doesn't scale up to thousands of participants.
>
> One more tidbit - this is the same CoC adopted by the kernel community and
> several other high profile communities, so there is precedent within the
> wider open source community for it. One thing I like quite a lot about it
> is that it is itself open source - if I find a bug with it, I can submit a
> pull request to the CoC itself.
>
> I hope this is helpful to the process and not disruptive  :)

I've got a copy of the Contributor Covenant up for review in docs/ now:

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/docs/+/13920/

Happy to continue discussion in both places.