Linux on Virtex board with ARCH=powerpc

Peter Mendham petermendham at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jun 24 19:02:23 EST 2008

Dear all,

I'm trying to boot a 2.6.26-rc6 kernel on a custom Virtex 4 board.  I
have used the Xilinx utility to generate a device tree and now want to
generate an image for throwing onto CF for use with a SystemACE (just
like on the the ML3/4xx boards).  I don't want to use a bootloader (I
don't really need one).  I saw something on this list about simpleImage,
"simple" sounded good to me so I thought I'd try that (or did I
misinterpret what this is for?).  I also don't want the image to be too
big, I always used to use a zImage under ARCH=ppc. So, two questions,
which hopefully are easy ones:
1. I did what Grant said in a post to this list about simpleImage, and
dumped my dts into arch/powerpc/boot/dts and I called it system.dts (for
now).  I then tried to do make simpleImage.system which ran right
through to final link then moaned about a missing simpleboot-system.
Where is this supposed to come from?  What am I doing wrong?  I naively
tried copying simpleboot.o to simpleboot-system.o and the error went
away.  Hmm.
2. I need an ELF to give to my SystemACE file generator.  This used to
pop up in arch/ppc/boot/images and be called zImage.elf, which made
sense to me.  What's the deal now with powerpc?  What should I be using?
Finally, can anyone give me a heads-up on any gotchas with what I'm
trying to do.  As you can tell, I don't entirely know what I'm doing, so
any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
-- Peter