Linux on Virtex board with ARCH=powerpc

John Linn linnj at xilinx.com
Wed Jun 25 00:03:00 EST 2008

Hi Peter,

I'm not up on what can be done with the simple image you refer to in 1.
I'm sure I should be, but there's a lot to learn.

With regards to 2, the elf image, zImage (without the elf extension), is
located in arch/powerpc/boot.

You can make a SystemACE file from that elf image just as you did in
arch/ppc.  We have a default device tree file, ml405.dts, in the
arch/powerpc/boot/dts directory for our ml405 board. The kernel
configuration has a config, DEVICE_TREE, that specifies the name of the
device tree file. I normally compile the device tree into the kernel
which is the default build, make ARCH=powerpc zImage. That image does
not require a boot loader.

I inserted the text below from a document that I have about building the
arch/ppc and arch/powerpc kernels.

Hope that helps,
John

Notation

The phrase "<ppc or powerpc>" is used throughput the text and means that
one or the other, "ppc" or "powerpc" is to be typed depending on the
architecture you are building.

Commands that are used in a bash shell are preceded by ">".

Getting Ready To Build the Kernel

This assumes you installed the ELDK tools and assumes you'll be using a
bash shell.

>bash
>export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx-

Setting Up the Kernel Tree

If you have previously built this kernel for another architecture, ppc
or powerpc, then the tree needs to be setup correctly for the new
architecture.  Assuming you have not previously built it, this does not
need to be done.

>make ARCH=<ppc or powerpc> mrproper

Configuring the Kernel

The kernel should be configured to run on the ML405 or ML507 board from
Xilinx.

>make ARCH=<ppc or powerpc>  ml405_defconfig

or

>make ARCH=<ppc or powerpc> ml507_defconfig

Building the Kernel

The following command will build the Linux kernel assuming you are in
the root directory of the kernel.  The root directory of the kernel from
the Xilinx Git tree is linux-2.6-xlnx. An elf file, zImage.elf, is
created in the arch/ppc/boot/images directory for ppc architecture. An
elf file, zImage, is created in the the arch/powerpc/boot directory for
the powerpc architecture.

>make ARCH=<ppc or powerpc> zImage

Building the Kernel With Ramdisk

A ram disk image, a file named *.gz, must be placed into the
arch/ppc/boot/images or arch/powerpc/boot directory, depending on the
architecture, prior to building the kernel.

>make ARCH=<ppc or powerpc> zImage.initrd

An elf file, zImage.initrd.elf, is created in arch/ppc/boot/images
directory for the ppc architecture. An elf file file, zImage.initrd, is
created in arch/powerpc/boot directory for the powerpc architecture.

Generating An Ace File

The elf file generated for the kernel and the bit stream can be combined
to create an ACE file for compact flash.  The following assumes a bash
shell where XMD is accessible and a xilinx probe attached to the board
for which you are generating an ace file.

>xmd -tcl genace.tcl -jprog -target ppc_hw -hw <bit file name> -elf <elf
file name> -board <ml405 or ml507> -ace <desired ace file name>