sleep / wake-up

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Sun Jun 11 20:57:46 EST 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Lee Revell wrote:

> It seems that PPC Macs have a hardware PMU:
>
> http://www.resexcellence.com/linux_icebox/01-31-02.shtml
>
> And that some embedded devices handle this at the hardware level with no
> OS support needed:
>
> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2001-February/010179.html
>
> So AFAICT there's no standard like ACPI - each board does it
> differently.

Right, so, without such support in the hardware or without the appropriate
information all you can do is software suspend-to-disk, I think. That's
for sleep-states. And just for power-saving you can switch various parts
off in subsystem-specific ways (e.g., spin down a IDE hd), clock the CPU
down, but still keep your system __running__, i.e. all processes run just
as usual only slower.

Thanks
Guennadi
---