sleep / wake-up

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Jun 11 10:05:40 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 01:38 +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> Yes: "ACPI" - we are talking about a (embedded) PPC... But I thought
> you could "simulate" that without ACPI too. AFAIU, ACPI is the way
> hardware (motherboard / laptop) manufacturers tell you about system's
> configuration, including how to enter S3. In its absence suspending
> every (e.g., embedded) system you have to _know_ the hardware. E.g.,
> what do they do on Apple ppc laptops? You don't have ACPI there. Is
> there any generic system there or did they just study every new
> ppc-mac and handled it specially?

It seems that PPC Macs have a hardware PMU:

http://www.resexcellence.com/linux_icebox/01-31-02.shtml

And that some embedded devices handle this at the hardware level with no
OS support needed:

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2001-February/010179.html

So AFAICT there's no standard like ACPI - each board does it
differently.

Lee