does Gianfar Ethernet Controller Version 1.1 support MARVELL 88E1111?

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Fri Jun 9 02:15:32 EST 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 02:43, 郭 剑非 wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm debugging my board with MPC 8540 and marvell 88e1111 designed
> on it.
> I'm sure the hardware connection is correct, and the phy's ID could
> be read
> through terminal port. But anyway, phy can not work. I wonder if it
> is the
> driver's problem? Since the Gianfar Ethernet Controller Version 1.1
> surpport 88e1011s, but some 88e1111's registers are different from
> 88e1011s'. Actually I'm a new guy to Linux. Has anybody ever used
> 88e1111
> phy in Linux envirenmemt? Please
> give me some points. Thank you!
> I have read the Gianfar ethernet controller driver, but it's
> difficult for
> me to find out the sofware flow.

It would be better if you upgraded to the latest kernel.  The PHY
subsystem in the driver has changed significantly since version 1.1
of the driver.  What leads you to believe that the PHY doesn't work?
What errors do you see?  I'm fairly certain the 88e1111 works with
the 88e1011 driver, but it's been a while.