Xilinx Virtex-2 PRO FPGA ppc 405 on ML310 board

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Apr 13 05:52:29 EST 2006

Please remember to CC the mailing list when replying

On 4/12/06, Vincent Winstead <vwinstead at yahoo.com> wrote:

>    Now, what does that mean, to get the tree.  Does it mean I'll get a list
> of possible kernels that I can download, and then i'll have to choose one of
> them to download?

It means you get a clone of the source tree + revision history which
you can easily keep up to date with mainline.  For things like Paul's
powerpc and powerpc-merge trees, you need to use it because I don't
think anybody is making .tar.gz snapshots from it.

>    Also, how come I have to go through all this 'git' mumbo-jumbo?  Why
> can't I just go to kernel.org and grab one of the 2.6 kernels off of there,
> then untar it?  What's so special about the source.mvista.com kernels
> through git and rsync?

If you want to use 2.6:  Git is a pretty easy way to keep up to date
with changes other are making on the tree.  But no, you don't have to
use it.  Some of the maintainers have snapshots generated from their
trees which you can download.

If you use 2.4: You need to use rsync to get the linuxppc-2.4 tree
because I don't think anyone is maintaining .tar.gz of the rsync
snapshot.  Email Tom Rini and ask him.  The linuxppc-2.4 tree is
special because it's one of the trees that actually has the ML300
patches integrated.  Mainline does not.