Slow read performance of NAND flash on PPC 405EP

Conn Clark clark at esteem.com
Fri Sep 23 03:13:01 EST 2005

Andy Hawkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a custom PPC-405EP based board, with a Samsumg 8Gbit flash
> (K9W8G08U1M) attached via EBC bank 2. When we read from this flash, we are
> only getting data rates of around 20 MBits/sec (this is using 'dd' to read
> direct from the linux /dev/mtd/x device). Our estimates show that the device
> should be capable of something like 100 MBits/sec.
>
> The EBC bank is set up as follows:
>
> #define CFG_EBC_PB2AP           0x8a015480
> #define CFG_EBC_PB2CR           0xFF458000  /*
> BAS=0xFF4,BS=4MB,BU=R/W,BW=8bit */
>
> The EBC bus is running at 54 MHz. We were originally running this bus at 27
> MHz, and this speed increase doesn't appear to have done an awful lot for
> us. By looking at the timings of various signals on an oscilloscope, we
> adjusted the PB2AP register to that shown above, in an attempt to remove as
> many of the wait states as possible.

It would be nice if you would break out the fields in the PB2AP control
word. This is what I came up with.

BME = 1, burst mode enabled
FWT = 2, 3 wait states
BWT = 4, 5 wait states
CSN = 0, 0 clock cycles before CS asserted
OEN = 1, 1 clock cycle before the PerOE is asserted
WBN = 1, 1 clock cycle delay until the first PerW line assertion after CS
WBF = 1, 1 clock cycle delay
TH  = 2, 2 clock cycles in between each burst
RE  = 0, PerREADY line disabled
SOR = 1, no effect
BME = 0

So you are reading things in burst mode. I have no experience doing
things in burst mode so I'm not going to be much help. I would look at
your timing diagrams again. Try changing the TH to 1 or 0 and see what
happens.