Getting Perl on Embedded Linux PowerPC

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Fri Sep 16 18:57:38 EST 2005

Hello, Russell!

Russell McGuire wrote:
> I was attempting to get some ATM Tools compiled into the embedded PowerPC,
> and found I needed Perl installed on the target before I continue.
>
> So my question...
>
> Has anyone had any luck getting any version of Perl 5 or higher installed
> onto the file system. I am still running this over the NFS dev environment,
> and plan to remove it before final production, so space is of no concern at
> the moment.

I was compiling and running Perl on my mpc8540 system (natively)...
I haven't had any problems with that.

$ perl --version
This is perl, v5.8.6 built for ppc-linux

----- my (old) install log says:
perl:
        wget ftp://.../perl-5.8.6.tar.gz
	tar ...
        less INSTALL
        rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
        sh Configure
or
        sh Configure -de        (for default installation)
        make
        make test
and it should end up with something like:
All tests successful.
u=6.52  s=0.89  cu=415.95  cs=22.58  scripts=845  tests=87560
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clemens/build/perl-5.8.6'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clemens/build/perl-5.8.6'
and finally:
	su -
        make install
-----

> Or perhaps a pre-compiled RPM that installs, that is built for PowerPC.

Sorry, no rpm's over here. Which PowerPC?

> I am using DENX Linux 2.4.25 at the moment, with pretty much the default
> root file system that is provided.

Should be no problem, I think. I started with that too, a long time ago.
Give it a try. You just need make sure that you don't run out of coffee! ;-)

Greets,

--
Clemens Koller

http://www.anagramm.de