Mapping huge user buffers for DMA

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Thu Sep 1 00:03:12 EST 2005

Hello, Stephen!

Please have a look at the whole thread around my posts at:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/8/4/201

I am working on an mpc8540 (e500) ppc and we are pushing
data from the local bus directly to the userspace
mlock()ed memory with the dma engine, using scatter/gather
(chaining and page/chunk-defragmentation/compression) transfers.

Currently, I send the application's user virtual and mlock()ed
address to the kernel driver through an ioctl and do an iopa()
at the user virtual addresses (pages) to get to the physical
addresses (pages). The system works stable and we can fill up
the whole memory (192MByte) with currently 144MByte/s
(still improvements possible).

If you are interested in our design, feel free to contact
me directly.

Greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices