Making only part of memory DMA-able [CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM?]

Adrian Cox adrian at humboldt.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 03:14:43 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 15:34, Anders Blomdell wrote:

> Is there anybody working on DISCONTIGOUS memory allocation for PowerPC's,
> that could shed some light on what should be done? A lot of memory
> management seems to be specialized for CONFIG_440, which further clutters
> my vision...

I've dealt with a very similar system architecture^(1). The main lesson
I learned from this was to always use a non-transparent PCI-PCI bridge.

In your case, I presume that this is a fixed system design, and you
don't have to make every device driver in the Linux kernel work. You
might consider writing a special purpose allocator and modifying the
individual drivers you require to use it.

(1: http://www.varisys.co.uk/tpe3.html )

--
Adrian Cox
http://www.humboldt.co.uk/