Linux Kernel hangs after execve("/bin/sh")

Jan Damborsky Jan.Damborsky at devcom.cz
Fri Jan 24 17:44:52 EST 2003

Prakash kanthi wrote:

>Hi FOlks,
>
>I finally reached the last step (hopefully) of linux
>kernel booting process. Kernel gets stuck after doing
>a 'execve("/bin/sh")'. I tried using different
>ramdisks, still no difference.
>
>I added few printk's in the source, following the
>function call path from 'execve' call. Following is
>the output. You can see that, execve goes through
>without any file permission problems and subsequently
>it tries to open /lib/ld.so.1 flawlessly. After that i
>see nothing on the terminal.
>
>---------
>init:Trying to bring /bin/sh up.
>do_execve:enter for /bin/sh
>open_exec:enter for /bin/sh.
>open_exec:Permission error=0.
>dentry_open:enter.
>dentry_open: after file->f_op->open. 0
>open_exec:enter for /lib/ld.so.1.
>open_exec:Permission error=0.
>dentry_open:enter.
>dentry_open: after file->f_op->open. 0
>do_execve: after search_binary_handler. retval=0
>-----------
>

>I wrote a small standalone program hello.c to test, if
>i can dynamically load it from init() instead of
>ramdisk and called from init(). Following is the
>output. You can see that, it did all of it that it did
>for /bin/sh and also tried to open /etc/ld.so.preload
>and /etc/ld.so.cache and failed. But again towards the
>end, it tries to open /lib/libc.so.6 and succeds but
>still no output is displayed that hello.c is trying to
>print.
>
>---------
>init:Trying to bring /bin/hello up.
>do_execve:enter for /bin/hello
>open_exec:enter for /bin/hello.
>open_exec:Permission error=0.
>dentry_open:enter.
>dentry_open: after file->f_op->open. 0
>open_exec:enter for /lib/ld.so.1.
>open_exec:Permission error=0.
>dentry_open:enter.
>dentry_open: after file->f_op->open. 0
>do_execve: after search_binary_handler. retval=0
>sys_open:enter for /etc/ld.so.preload.
>sys_open:unused_fd=3.
>filp_open:enter for /etc/ld.so.preload.
>filp_open:open_namei error -2.
>sys_open:enter for /etc/ld.so.cache.
>sys_open:unused_fd=3.
>filp_open:enter for /etc/ld.so.cache.
>filp_open:open_namei error -2.
>sys_open:enter for /lib/libc.so.6.
>sys_open:unused_fd=3.
>filp_open:enter for /lib/libc.so.6.
>filp_open:open_namei error 0.
>dentry_open:enter.
>dentry_open: after file->f_op->open. 0
>-----------
>
>Can someone please throw some light on this?
>
>Thanks,
>Prakash

Hello Prakash,

I have had similar problem with HardHat Linux, but when
I have changed to ElinOS distribution from SYSGO corporation,
all works well. But I have find a little "HOWTO" to solve this
problem in HardHat Linux, may be it will help you a bit.
I am sorry I am not posting URL link to this document,
because I don't remember it, but I think document is not
 so large so I am attaching it. Once more, I apologize to other people
who are not interested in this problem.

                                                      By,
                                                                     Jan