Ramdisk details; execve("/bin/sh") output

Prakash kanthi pkanthi at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 15:49:11 EST 2003

Hi FOlks,

I have couple of questions on ramdisk operation.

1. How can i see the contents of a ramdisk? I
downloaded one from denx and i want to see what is in
there?
2. In ${LINUX_ROOT}/init/main.c -> init(), after
prepare_namespace (which basically does the inintrd
mount), open syscall on '/dev/console' fails. But
still control goes further and executes
'execve("/bin/sh")'. My question is where does the
output of /bin/sh execution goes? Not to my dumb
terminal? I see nothing. Infact my dumb terminal just
stops there. No kernel panic. Any clues?

Note: In my case i do not have enough infrastructure
to have the  standard NS16550 is working. So i have to
port some other driver as my serial driver. ANything
related to this?

Thanks,
Prakash