Assistance with using /dev/fb0 and No X windows

Mark Powell medp at primag.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 23:28:32 EST 2003

On 15-Jan-2003 David Gibson wrote:
>  Indeed..  however I did find that the folks from Silicon Motion seemed
>  to be reasonably willing to help with finding the necessary frobbing
>  to do.

we had mixed response, but had to find the key regs ourselves.

>  I'm a bit surprised that lynxfb.c plus XFree wasn't enough to work for
>  you (well, after modifying the Icebox specific parts), but it was
>  pretty flaky, so I'm not all that surprised.  From memory, it
>  shouldn't be a really big job to make lynxfb.c a bit more solid, and
>  even make it work as a proper kernel framebuffer driver, but it worked
>  enough for my purposes so I never got around to it (plus that would
>  have meant figuring out the baroque intricacies of the fbdev
>  interface).

FWIW I have a flaky fb-based console driver for the Lynx3DM. It works as far as
running the X server, but doesn't restore correctly when X exits. Virtual
terminals work on it. There are a few specifics to our card in it, but you're
welcome to it as it stands.
I am planning to make PPCBoot put the Lynx3DM into a basic VGA mode and then
try the linux generic VGA driver. Comments any one?

Mark

--
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer, Primagraphics Limited
New Cambridge House, Litlington, nr.Royston, Herts, SG8 0SS, UK