Debugging the kernel with BDI2000

Xiaogeng (Shawn) Jin xjin at redswitch.com
Wed Jan 15 11:13:41 EST 2003

I tried to debug the kernel with BDI2000 and gdb and had some problems.

I wanted to set a breakpoint at console_init() and did the following steps.
(1) BDI>bi 0xc00020f0    # stop at start_here
(2) BDI>go
ppcboot was running and loaded the kernel image and stoped at start_here.
(3) BDI>ci
(4) ppc_8xx-gdb vmlinux    # start gdb
(gdb) target remote bdi:2001
(gdb) b console_init

The above steps were all successful. But when I wanted to step by 'n' or
continue the execution by 'cont'. I got the following error.

(gdb) cont
warning: Cannot insert breakpoint -1:
Error accessing memory address 0xc0000000: Unknown error 4294967295.

What does this mean? My BDI2000 configuration may not right? CPU is 855.

Thanks.
- shawn.