bdi200 or powertap.. help me to decide.

Omanakuttan omanakuttan at tataelxsi.co.in
Thu Jan 9 15:36:45 EST 2003

Hi,
we are developing a custom board based on mpc8260eds board and planning
to run linux on it. We require a tool to debug the kernel and ppcboot,
if required.
I have been following the recent ( and ongoing ) discussions on bdi2000.
I have recommended the company to buy bdi2000. The company is
considering bdi2000 and powertap. ( AMC Applied Microsystems
Corporation's PowerTAP™).
I am going through the data sheet of powertap and doing a comparitative
study of both products to find out which one is better suited for linux
kernel debugging. Frankly we don't need any of the jazz that powertap +
MWX-ICE™ debugger offers .We will be happy to use GNU tools. One good
feature I see in powertap is to examine the contents of the registers.
but I am a little pessimistic about the linux kernel debug support on
powertap.

If you have any inputs that will help me to decide the product we should
buy, please provide them.

Thanks and regards,
Om.