Netbooting yaboot doesn't show menu

Erlon Cruz sombrafam at gmail.com
Wed May 19 22:50:54 EST 2010

Hum...have you checked if  the yaboot file in the Mac G4 is the one the you
have compiled? I never netbooted a Mac. Try to use TCPDUMP + wireshark in
the server where you have the config files to check exactly what your
clients are requesting and actually getting.
Kind Regards,
Erlon

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM, mardok45 <mardok45 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried pulling a yaboot copy from Fedora Core 6, Arch PPC, and one that
> I compiled and they all don't show the boot menu.
>
> All I did was copy the yaboot file to the TFTP folder and edited a new
> yaboot.conf.  Is there something else that needs to be done?
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Erlon Cruz <sombrafam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Your distro must have compiled it without the netbooting option. Try
>> downloading yaboot from the source and compiling it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Erlon
>>
>> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM, mardok45 <mardok45 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm booting some Mac G4's into yaboot by Netbooting.  Downloading and
>>> running linux kernels / initrd's works perfectly fine, but yaboot doesn't
>>> display a menu.
>>>
>>> What's happening is when the yaboot executable is transferred via
>>> Netboot, instead of displaying the boot menu like it usually does, I just
>>> get the Apple Netboot icon in a frozen state.  If I hit enter, it starts
>>> downloading the kernel / initrd like it normally would and everything is
>>> fine from there.
>>>
>>> The above problem applies when I hold down the N key when the Mac boots
>>> up.  If I boot into yaboot on the local hard drive and then Netboot, the
>>> menu shows like it normally would.
>>>
>>> Here's the yaboot.conf on the TFTP server:
>>>
>>> device=enet:
>>> partition=0
>>> default=linux