netboot yaboot with yaboot.conf inside an initrd.

Greg Rodgers rodgersg at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 5 23:23:03 EST 2010

Thanks Tony,

Sorry, I forgot to motivate why I am doing this.

I need the ability to easily edit the cmdline which
yaboot gives me. If I was using SLES, their mkzimage
has a supporting mkzimage_cmdline that would allow
me to do exactly what you said without yaboot.
But the RHEL version of mkzimage has no such feature.
Hence if I used yaboot to load the zimage I could
specify a cmdline in yaboot.conf that will change
frequently in my situation.  In other words, I can
change the cmdline in yaboot.conf without
rebuilding the kernel.

Anton and I talked about my flawed strategy. I now
understand that yaboot does not have an uncompressor
and the ability to read inside an initrd for
yaboot.conf, zimage and another initrd. I would have
to tell yaboot to somehow tftp this stuff from the
boot server.  That seems like too much hassle just
to be able to edit the cmdline.

Anton said I could build a vmlinux editor much
like the suse mkzimage_cmdline.  Unfortunately,
this is "enterprise" linux so I only have a vmlinuz.
So I will need to build the kernel from source
which is not completely unacceptable.
But since I would have to build from source,
I could avoid a vmlinux editor and just use
CONFIG_CMDLINE.

Greg.