netboot yaboot with yaboot.conf inside an initrd.

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Feb 9 12:07:25 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 07:23:03AM -0500, Greg Rodgers wrote:

> I would have
> to tell yaboot to somehow tftp this stuff from the
> boot server.  That seems like too much hassle just
> to be able to edit the cmdline.

I'm not certain I understand the difficulty.  The yaboot in RHEL has the
ability to netboot yaboot, and you do so it will by default grab the config,
zimage and initrd over the network as well.

Also yaboot will try a variety of config files from the tftp server
So you can easily have one config file per machine, all falling back to the
default.  You'd make your life a little simplier if you wrote some scripts to
manage it but really in a diskless environment it'd be pretty straight forward
to just grab everything over the network and manage the command line for each
machine in the yaboot config.

> Anton said I could build a vmlinux editor much
> like the suse mkzimage_cmdline.  Unfortunately,
> this is "enterprise" linux so I only have a vmlinuz.

You'll find that RHEL calls the file vmlinuz but it is infact a vmlinux.

---
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)
# file /boot/vm*5
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, cisco 7500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
---

but the vmlinux doesn't have a built-in default command line.

Yours Tony