Installing Ubuntu on an XServe

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at mac.com
Sun Jun 3 01:58:16 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 10:48 +0100, Paul Nasrat wrote:

> What kernel are you running?
>
> Can you tar up /proc/device-tree and put it on a web page for me to
> download. Then I'll try modify ofpath to figure out.

I'll have to check the kernel and /proc/device-tree. The other problem
is that this XServe lives at a hosting service, so I can't get back to
it until Monday.

> > Another wrinkle that I should mention is that the version of parted
> > included with the Ubuntu install CD (I've tried using both alternate and
> > server versions) seems to have some problems. I could never get it to
> > set up the drives as a software RAID array and today, after dropping
> > into the shell and trying to run parted manually, I got a message saying
> > "You've found a bug in parted" which was promptly followed by a core
> > dump.
>
> David - any ideas on the parted issue.  What version of parted is it you
> are using?

Again, I'll have to check the CD. It may be that it's fixed in Debian
(as Aurélien said) but hasn't been updated in the Ubuntu install CD.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Todd