OF GUI boot?

Jon sharp jon at jonsharp.net
Mon Apr 16 01:22:47 EST 2007

Dustin,

Actually, I love the ASCII art idea!  I don't know why I didn't consider
that before.  I use the aalib output filter for mplayer all the time.
Anyway, I was, of course, thinking of binary images, but I actually
think this would satisfy me for the most part.

I've actually already added a number of prom_printf()'s to yaboot.c and
it looks great!  I added an ASCII art conversion of the Ubuntu logo, as
I am using Ubuntu on this powerbook.  I also played around with doing
the same thing with the first stage CHRP script, but couldn't get it to
boot whenever I added additional text output to the script.  I don't
know what the trick there would be, as I haven't done any forth dev
before.

It might be nice in the long run to patch yaboot.c to pull its prompt
text from a separate file, so one could easily customize and change
things with each call of mkofboot.  It would also be great if one could
do full ANSI-style graphics, as well, using the fgcolor/bgcolor
mechanism.  Can these colors be set on individual characters, or does OF
apply these to the whole screen?

So, the ASCII thing is pretty cool, but that's not to say that I
wouldn't also like to see some sort of graphics in yaboot, as well.

Przemyslaw, I am familiar with the Towers of Hanoi OF example, as well
as Mr. Singh's other OF work, so I know OF is at least capable of these
things, I'm just not sure how one would add this to yaboot.  After
looking a bit at the code, it seems the ofboot CHRP script could simply
be extended with the necessary OF graphics routines.  The second stage
loader seems to be able to do the same thing through the
prom_interpret() function.  Is that correct?  So it seems like the
mechanisms are already in place and the forth code just needs to be
worked out.

I'm not yet sure of the graphical capabilities of OF, but I'd just like
to see something similar to the gray Apple logo, say, a gray penguin, or
distro logo, etc.  If something like that could be carried over
seemlessly from first to second stages, too, that would be great, too.

Thanks again,
Jon