OF GUI boot?

Przemyslaw Iskra sparky at pld-linux.org
Sat Apr 14 08:37:27 EST 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 10:04:43AM -0500, Jon Sharp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a long time user of Yaboot and there is a particular feature
> that I would like to help develop, but I would first like to know
> whether it is even feasible.  I would like to see a splash screen on
> boot, similar to the Apple BootX splash screen, rather than the
> standard text prompt.  Perhaps a keystroke would kill the splash and
> allow control of boot parameters.  Perhaps something even more
> sophisticated could eventually be developed for a GUI selection of
> boot devices, similar perhaps to the OS 9 loader of old.

have you seen towers of hanoi for open firmware [1] ?
i think it should not be very hard to write some code which displays
a bitmap using openfirmware commands

1. http://www.kernelthread.com/hanoi/src/hanoimania/hanoi-gfx.macprom

--
 ____  Sparky{PI] -- Przemyslaw _  ___  _  _  ........... LANG...Pl..Ca..Es..En