[OpenPower-Firmware] Hardware documentation

Daniel M Crowell dcrowell at us.ibm.com
Sat Oct 12 04:34:52 AEDT 2019

Hopefully you've already perused the documents out here -
https://www-355.ibm.com/systems/power/openpower/ .  The "Power9 Processor
Registers" spec at
https://ibm.ent.box.com/s/ddcdl3g0otdzyiajhkfe3jjh2oy5p3mt has all of the
scom registers.  From there you can at least decode the registers that
we're touching in the code.

--
Dan Crowell
Senior Software Engineer - Power Systems Enablement Firmware
dcrowell at us.ibm.com

__________________

I definitely feel your pain on the documentation front.  There are a few
reasons why these sorts of things don't currently exist.  Obviously there
is the usual "developers don't like to write docs" excuse :-).  The next
reason is that a lot of this stuff crosses the open/proprietary line.  The
internal hardware specifications are still full of proprietary IP, but the
code is open.  There hasn't been a concerted effort (that I know of) to
create completely open hardware specifications because frankly there hasn't
been a lot of interest to this point in anyone external playing around with
this stuff.   You are blazing a trail here.

There are some specifications out in the OpenPOWER organization.  For
example, OpenFSI is here -
http://openpowerfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/resources/OpenFSI-spec-100/content/ch01.html
  (pretty low-level electrical stuff though)

We've tried to provide a lot of comments where we can but as with all
long-term projects, there is a lot of inertia-based code.  The Hostboot FSI
code is based on the behavior of FSP code from 3 generations ago since the
hardware logic is essentially unchanged.  So at the moment the code is the
documentation, for all that is worth.  If you point us at some specific
chunk of logic that is too opaque we can try to beef it up with comments.

dcrowell at us.ibm.com