cannot modify the files in the overlay file system

Milton Miller II miltonm at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 8 16:06:56 AEST 2021

On June 2, 2021, <zhouyuanqing8 at outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>

>    mount command is follow: mount -t overlay overlay -o
>redirect_dir=on,index=on,lowerdir=/run/initramfs/ro/usr/bin,upperdir=
>/run/initramfs/rw/cow1,workdir=/run/initramfs/rw/work1
>/run/initramfs/rw/merged

This seems to create an overlay for /usr/bin and mounts
it at /run/initramfs/rw/merged.

There seems to be some confusion, as the default mtd-static
build with the obmc-phosphor-initfs recipe will create an
initramfs that mounts with similar names and has the whole
file system mounted writable.

Can you confirm are you using the base layout (static mtd partitions)
or are you using the distro feature for s mmc or ubi (or some other
layout custom for your board)?

>    After I mounted the overlay file system , I used vi to open the
>file (vi xxx.sh) in the merged directory, and then when I saved it,
>it prompted "'xxx.sh Invalid argument". Can you help me solve this
>problem?

>    On my system, this problem occurs probabilistically on openbmc
>2.8.0, and the probability is very low; but on openbmc 2.9.0, it must
>occur.
>

>    openbmc release version :2.9.0
>    kernel version:5.10.14。

There was an issue with overlays before but those should be fixed before
5.10.

milton