Entity Manager ReScan Functionality

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Thu Oct 29 03:03:04 AEDT 2020

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 7:31 PM Rahul Kapoor <rahulkapoor at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have noticed that in its current state the entity manager ReScan function does not detect changes in the exposed configuration data unless the configuration name property in the JSON is changed. Is my understanding correct?
>
> I am currently working around this by updating the Name property along with each object within the exposed data since Redfish bmcweb interface only reports objects associated with latest configuration. But I am sure there is a better way

I've read the above a couple of times, and I'm still trying to make
sure I understand;  You're modifying the config files on disk, then
calling rescan and expecting them to be re-read?  If I have that
right, that's not how that works, and would be undefined behavior even
if it did work.  Entity-manager is expecting that the config files are
fixed for the lifetime of a service.  If you're doing this for testing
purposes, a simple systemctl restart entitymanager.service would
reload the files from disk and reinit all configurations, but as a
matter of practice, a system should not be modifying the config files
at runtime.  If you need that behavior, use the dbus interfaces to
modify parameters on dbus, and entity-manager will persist them for
you.