Request to create repository google-ipmi-bmc-health

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Fri Oct 2 05:05:28 AEST 2020

Hi Sui,

On 9/30/20, 8:30 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Sui Chen" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of suichen at google.com> wrote:

    Hello OpenBMC community,

    We are working on an IPMI blob-based implementation of BMC health
    monitoring. We currently have an internal working prototype version
    and would like to upload it to this newly proposed repository,
    openbmc/google-ipmi-bmc-health .

In my opinion, we can enhance existing health-monitor and add your features.

    We are aware of existing BMC health monitoring designs such as:
    1. https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-health-monitor and its
    documentation https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gerrit.openbmc-2Dproject.xyz_c_openbmc_docs_-2B_31957&d=DwIBaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=Z-_Rsue1ZHBD_TgPw7EDIc8dh8E8o8dlUe8aKr7I5VA&s=HTKEM8tcIgwzwL4OQVP1Kcve6ZfnhSTohdwPmIrjwe4&e=
    2. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gerrit.openbmc-2Dproject.xyz_c_openbmc_docs_-2B_34766&d=DwIBaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=Z-_Rsue1ZHBD_TgPw7EDIc8dh8E8o8dlUe8aKr7I5VA&s=EcxSrU1PC6Akfy1FR0wo-5TC_QvMld9SDT7pJAh5QcM&e=

    Main differences between this implementation and existing ones are:
    - google-ipmi-bmc-health is implemented with the IPMI blob handler
    framework and exists as an IPMI blob handler, while
    phosphor-health-monitor runs as a daemon and exposes BMC health
    metrics on DBus in the same manner sensors are exposed.

Is this going to be a library or daemon, Same health-monitor daemon can
Be enhanced to add these functionalities.

    - This implementation does not check health metric values against
    thresholds or perform actions when thresholds are crossed.

If you don't define threshold in configuration file, health-monitor will
also not monitor metrics defined.

    - This implementation currently reports uptime, memory usage, free
    disk space, CPU time consumed by processes, and file descriptor stats.

Same can be added as extra metrics. That was the goal of this repo as to
start with basic metrics and add more as required.

    - This implementation does not read a configuration file yet. It
    always reads the hard-coded set of health metrics listed above.

We can enable or disable certain metrics through this configuration file.

    - This implementation does not post-process sensor readings such as
    compute the average CPU usage over a certain time window.

Window size 1 can give latest data rather than averaged data.

    As such, this implementation differs enough from existing ones such
    that we believe we have enough reasons to have a separate repository
    for it.

I will strongly prefer to add all of the features in the existing repo.

    Thanks!