Request to create repository google-ipmi-bmc-health

Sui Chen suichen at google.com
Fri Oct 2 11:52:28 AEST 2020

Hi Vijay,

We can use whatever means that gets health monitoring done.
I have the following questions on how to merge the proposed IPMI
Blob-based implementation, google-ipmi-bmc-health (referred to as
"IPMI health blob") with phosphor-health-monitor. The intent of having
a separate "google-ipmi-bmc-health" was to avoid these questions:

1) The IPMI health blob is a library, not a daemon, so after the IPMI
health blob is added, phosphor-health-monitor will have both a library
and a daemon. The user needs to have a way to configure it. What is
the recommended way of doing this configuration?

2) We are sending a protocol buffer through the IPMI interface to the
BMC, and the protocol buffer may be only used for the IPMI path and
not anywhere else. Would there be any concerns on the usage of a
protocol buffer here?

Other than these two things I think adding new metrics to
phosphor-health-monitor should be manageable. I can start by trying to
add the IPMI blob handler to phosphor-health-monitor; my first attempt
might not look very elegant, but if we find answers to the two
questions above, the merged result will look a lot better. Hopefully
we can find a solution that works well for everyone.

Thanks,
Sui