Request to create repository google-ipmi-bmc-health
suichen at google.com
Thu Oct 1 01:27:58 AEST 2020
Hello OpenBMC community,
We are working on an IPMI blob-based implementation of BMC health
monitoring. We currently have an internal working prototype version
and would like to upload it to this newly proposed repository,
We are aware of existing BMC health monitoring designs such as:
1. https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-health-monitor and its
Main differences between this implementation and existing ones are:
- google-ipmi-bmc-health is implemented with the IPMI blob handler
framework and exists as an IPMI blob handler, while
phosphor-health-monitor runs as a daemon and exposes BMC health
metrics on DBus in the same manner sensors are exposed.
- This implementation does not check health metric values against
thresholds or perform actions when thresholds are crossed.
- This implementation currently reports uptime, memory usage, free
disk space, CPU time consumed by processes, and file descriptor stats.
- This implementation does not read a configuration file yet. It
always reads the hard-coded set of health metrics listed above.
- This implementation does not post-process sensor readings such as
compute the average CPU usage over a certain time window.
As such, this implementation differs enough from existing ones such
that we believe we have enough reasons to have a separate repository
More information about the openbmc