[Announce] OpenBMC Discord Community

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Sat Nov 21 07:44:21 AEDT 2020

Hello Andrei,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 10:31:23AM +0300, Andrei Kartashev wrote:
> Is there a Matrix (Riot.IM) to Discord bridge configured (
> https://matrix.org/docs/projects/bridge/matrix-appservice-discord)? Did
> you try it? Can we connect Discord channel with IRC channel via the
> bridge?

I did not try it.  It looks like it is "self-hosted" meaning we would
need someone to run the bridge.

I'd tend to prefer we don't run a bridge, especially since both Matrix
and Discord have web-clients so there shouldn't be any install / setup
impediment.  We're likely to lose some features with one side of the
bridge or the other.

If there really is an interest in setting up the bridge, I'll help
whoever wants to drive that on the Discord admin side.

> BTW, what was the problem with Matrix-To-IRC? I use it connect the
> channel and it works fine to me.

I think there were ultimately two problems with it:

    - We've seen many times where the bridge is "slow" and people have
      been confused by the conversation between Matrix and IRC because
      messages and replies arrive out of order.  There are times when it
      completely goes down but that hasn't been so bad lately.

    - People using the Matrix bridge don't see the IRC limitations, so
      long and formatted messages on Matrix show up on IRC as a URL to a
      "matrix long message" which most people on IRC just ignore.

Matrix and Discord at least have a similar feature set, so maybe there
is less likely to be a mismatch in the bridges.  One big advantage,
which we've already leveraged with Discord, is that we can easily create
a set of channels (based on topics) that are all together in our one
community.  With Matrix people have to know to go to #openbmc-<topic> in
addition to the main Matrix channel.

--
Patrick Williams