No sensors displayed in webUI

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Jan 16 06:27:01 AEDT 2020

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 09:26:48AM -0800, James Feist wrote:
> There was a thread about this last week:
>
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-January/020044.html
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-January/020136.html
>
> TL;DR all the sensors are available in Redfish, but the WebUI hasn't move
> over to full Redfish support yet. There is a test patch that helps enable
> this in the thread.

Hi James,

This statement about a dependency on Redfish stood out to me.  The
current UI is mostly using the "old" REST API, but as long as the dbus
objects are created correctly it should not matter one bit if the
external interface is the dbus-based REST API or the Redfish one.

This is a bug in dbus-sensors that is independent of Redfish vs REST.

The current webui code expects there to be properties that are specified
in phosphor-dbus-interfaces.  Specifically, it is looking for the "Unit"
property[1], which is a required property on
xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value[2].  The dbus-sensors has a bunch of
Sensor.Value objects that are violating the interface spec by not
providing "Unit" [3].  Notice that `setInitialProperties` doesn't
register_property on "Unit" and neither does any other code in this
repository[4].

Why is none of this code using the code generated from
phosphor-dbus-interfaces?  Since it is generating dbus objects "by
hand" it isn't not getting any compile-time checking if it is doing the
wrong thing (or more likely that the phosphor-dbus-interface changes out
from underneath it).

[1] https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-webui/blob/f70f42553615972163b36c9b4d77be07e4399122/app/common/services/api-utils.js#L979
[2] https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Sensor/Value.interface.yaml#L32
[3] https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors/blob/fbb44ad1ea716d4e8c2cacdf01d380c6d0f53855/include/sensor.hpp#L13