dbus-sensors:hwmontemp: additional attribute proposal

Jason Ling jasonling at google.com
Fri Aug 7 08:52:50 AEST 2020

Assuming that you mean "Omit Name attribute from the sensor configuration
definition and then change hwmontemp to require any Name.*"
This won't work since Entity-Manager requires Name (tried it,
entity-manager does indeed complain about not finding name).

My rationale for an omit list vs permit list
(1) if it's a permit list then everytime you add another temp you want to
monitor you need to add to this list..if you want to drop a temp then you
have to modify the list again.
(2) General assumption is that the primary use case is to display all named
temperatures which means a permit list is typically large
(3) adding a permit list also breaks all existing code. Everyone has to go
back into their json config and add all the sensor values to the list.

My rationale for using the value for the "Name" attribute rather than
labels or referencing sysfs attributes
(1) Looking at just the config , it's obvious as to what you're omitting.
(2) If it's label base, a label change in a driver would mean a breakage in
the userspace daemon. Not a big deal; but it can be annoying.
(3) if it's sysfs attribute based then it's my opinion that it's not as
readable.