Accessing kernel panic information without BMC console?

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Sat Sep 28 08:28:25 AEST 2019

On 9/27/19, 3:05 PM, "openbmc on behalf of Kun Yi" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of kunyi at google.com> wrote:

    Hello there,

    Wonder whether anyone has had experience persisting kernel panic
    information or sending them through network? For a lot of our devices
    the console is either unconnected or served by obmc-console-client
    only, which wouldn't be able to capture kernel oops.

    We are starting to look into these tools:

    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.3/admin-guide/ramoops.html
    Ramoops says it requires persistent RAM.. Which may make it infeasible
    since we don't persist memory (or, we try not to).

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__linux.die.net_man_8_netdump&d=DwIBaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=0H6Yf0igviHCOSHAbOPQxxM-_B0Lh1EyZm4dpdMqe2g&s=H3n57FRZwV0z_wOHqmaiRa-kQ6h3doWg712SV4ez-GU&e=
    netdump seems promising.

    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.3/admin-guide/kdump/kdump.html
    It seems we need more pieces to get kdump working. Have anyone tried
    kexec/kdump on their platforms?

I have used kdump in past was very happy with it. Yes, it needs lot more
pieces to make it work.

    Regards,
    Kun