Accessing kernel panic information without BMC console?

Kun Yi kunyi at google.com
Sat Sep 28 08:01:48 AEST 2019

Hello there,

Wonder whether anyone has had experience persisting kernel panic
information or sending them through network? For a lot of our devices
the console is either unconnected or served by obmc-console-client
only, which wouldn't be able to capture kernel oops.

We are starting to look into these tools:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.3/admin-guide/ramoops.html
Ramoops says it requires persistent RAM.. Which may make it infeasible
since we don't persist memory (or, we try not to).

https://linux.die.net/man/8/netdump
netdump seems promising.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.3/admin-guide/kdump/kdump.html
It seems we need more pieces to get kdump working. Have anyone tried
kexec/kdump on their platforms?

Regards,
Kun