[Potential Spoof] Utility Error Output

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Sat Sep 21 04:36:44 AEST 2019

On 9/20/19, 11:15 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Wilfred Smith" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of wilfredsmith at fb.com> wrote:

    One of the code review comments for my FRU dump utility was that I should write the results to phosphor log.

    Should the output of a utility that is being used from a shell prompt be displayed on the console or sent to the phosphor log destination?

    I’m thinking that it’s best to route it solely to the console for three reasons:
    	- if there’s something wrong with logging, the utility becomes worthless
    	- When I’m interactively running a utility, it seems strange to go the log for the result of what I just did.
    	- The output of the utility will often be useful for logic within a script. Digging the information out of the log complicates that.

    Comments appreciated,

You should have all error and information log should go to phosphor log. And output result should go to console.

    Wilfred