Utility Error Output

Wilfred Smith wilfredsmith at fb.com
Sat Sep 21 04:13:51 AEST 2019

One of the code review comments for my FRU dump utility was that I should write the results to phosphor log.

Should the output of a utility that is being used from a shell prompt be displayed on the console or sent to the phosphor log destination?

I’m thinking that it’s best to route it solely to the console for three reasons:
	- if there’s something wrong with logging, the utility becomes worthless
	- When I’m interactively running a utility, it seems strange to go the log for the result of what I just did.
	- The output of the utility will often be useful for logic within a script. Digging the information out of the log complicates that.

Comments appreciated,

Wilfred