BitBake Apache License and Packaging for OpenBMC Components

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 23:01:04 AEST 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 6:59 PM Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:

> > (5) How should I handle being in a subdirectory of a repository? The
> > code I’m checking in will go into openbmc-tools. How does that work for
> > CI?
>
> There isn't any CI for openbmc-tools at the moment, as it was originally
> intended as a collection of quick hacks that made people's lives easier
> without any particular guarantees. This was done to lower the bar for
> entry and get people contributing their scripts.
>
> CI is probably something we need to think about though, so I've added
> Andrew G in To/Cc:

I know for openbmc-build-scripts I did eventually make a jenkins job
that does basic validation of the scripts it can (building docker containers).
We were getting some regressions which were breaking our CI so this was
a quick way to make sure the docker containers at least built when the
scripts were updated.

We could do something similar with this repo, even if it's just running --help
of the tools to ensure they execute. We could get more complex and
connect them up to a QEMU session running openbmc to validate
more. I don't have any bandwidth to do much here though so someone
else would need to drive it.

Would we want a run-ci.sh in each subdirectory where a tool owner
could configure it to setup their env and run their tests? Most of the
tools are python, is there a python CI framework we should look at?
Maybe easier to have a master script from the root dir that runs all
CI for all tools? Just throwing some thoughts out.

Andrew