Fan PWM monitoring and control

Matthew Barth msbarth at linux.ibm.com
Wed Sep 18 01:07:44 AEST 2019

On 9/17/19 5:40 AM, rgrs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some help with phosphor hwmon related to fan sensors.
>
> I'm trying to control Fans in a server motherboard using ADT7462
> controller. Hw mon porting is done and the sysfs interfaces are working
> as expected.
>
> While I am able to read RPM, i don't find pwm/target to control the fans
> exposed as dbus objects.
Do you have the hwmon config set similar to this to denote the fan
targets are of PWM type?

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/recipes-phosphor/sensors/phosphor-hwmon/obmc/hwmon/ahb/apb/pwm-tacho-controller%401e786000.conf

> # busctl --no-page tree xyz.openbmc_project.FanSensor
> Failed to introspect object / of service xyz.openbmc_project.FanSensor:
> The name is not activatable
> No objects discovered.
That does not look like a hwmon service name. If you are using
phosphor-objmgr, you can use `# mapper get-service
/xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/fan_tach` otherwise you'll need to find the
hwmon service name associated with your fan controller device.

> I came across this post, I think it is similar to my issue.
> (https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-hwmon/+/8353)
>
> Please someone point to latest documentation or reference Fan porting
> from openBMC repo?
> What are the exact fields in YAML that are used create FanPWM objects.
The Romulus machine should be a good reference for PWM based fan control
using phosphor-hwmon. It uses the
phosphor-fan-presence/[control|monitor] apps for controlling and
monitoring fans

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/tree/master/meta-ibm/meta-romulus

> (I'm using Feb release in my sandbox,
> https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/release/release-notes.md#26-feb-4-2019)