Redfish OpenBMC OEM

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Nov 20 05:03:00 AEDT 2019

On 11/19/19 10:23 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The process seems a little light for adding OpenBMC OEM Redfish
> properties and schemas. Can we establish a little more stringent
> process for adding these? Can we try to upstream these to the Redfish
> standard first before they are added as OpenBMC OEM? Do we need a
> design template or someway to collaborate before the OpenBMC OEM
> schema or properties are added? Are we okay if pretty
> architectural-specific or company-specific properties and schemas are
> under the "OpenBMC" OEM namespace?

I suggest getting started with a survey of what the project has. Given
that we have Redfish Oem.OpenBMC Properties, we should document them
(suggest: docs/designs/Redfish-Oem-Resources.md and using a format
similar to the Redfish spec).  Doing so will help:
- users know what to expect from the interfaces,
- developers to understand the interface, and
- the OpenBMC community to help move these fields into the Redfish spec.

The proposed Redfish-Oem-Resources document would serve as a good focal
point for collaboration within OpenBMC as to how we want to extend the
Redfish spec.

Reference:
Oem Resources are described in the Redfish spec (DSP0266) in the Data
model chapter under multiple section such as OEM Resources and Resource
extensibility.

It seems to me that "OpenBMC" should be used for common elements and
"company name" (such as "OpenPower" or "IBM") used when appropriate.
Once again, the OpenBMC community needs to have a focus in this area to
sort this out.  IMHO, having a document like Redfish-Oem-Resources.md
would help.

> I think a majority of the OEM properties in the "OpenBMC" OEM
> currently are things Redfish would take. I would like to see us engage
> Redfish first.

Agreed.  I understand this statement to mean that we should try to
upstream new Resources into the Redfish spec first, before we accept
them as Oem.OpenBMC resources.  Also, we should try to upstream the
existing OpenBMC resources into Redfish.

I think having a Redfish-Oem-Resources document would help provide focus
to that effort.

- Joseph