bitbake of individual repositories

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 09:02:12 AEDT 2019

Assuming we get some more compute resources for our community CI, the next
logical step would be to enable bitbake on some individual code repositories.
bmcweb would be my first repo for this because we find the most
regressions there
later in the CI cycle (meta-phosphor) with the Redfish validation tests.

I know we've done some brainstorming in the past on how we could do bitbake of
code repositories easily and was interested in others thoughts/ideas.

- Modify the recipe to use the nobranch=1 option and have it pull the commit
out of github (all gerrit commits are mirrored to github so you can update a
recipe to pull that from github)

This option is nice in that it's just a two line change to a recipe and then
the normal bitbake process. It's challenging in that we'll probably have to
hard code the association between a repository, its recipe, and its URI/SRCREV
info. I just don't think we've been consistent enough with our recipe names
to ensure this could always be dynamically figured out?

- Use devtool to create a local repo of the repo you want to test and then
copy in the code that triggered the jenkins job.

This option is nice because you already have the code you want to test from the
gerrit trigger in Jenkins. It's challenging in that you'd have to ensure the
devtool modify maps to the repo name (which may not always be the case?) and
you'd have to parse the command line feedback from devtool to know where to
copy the files. devtool is something you'd have to run within the bitbake
environement which adds a bit of complexity since our current design is to
set up the src directory and then just have the docker container build it.

Other ideas out there?

Andrew