where to store application json

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Fri Aug 16 09:59:01 AEST 2019

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, at 07:01, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> As we start moving more and more of our applications to using runtime parsed
> json files, it seems like a good time to come up with a standard location to put
> the json files. I think a requirement is they be in a writeable filesystem
> (although that may bring security concerns) so that you can edit and restart
> services that use them on the fly for bringup and debug.
>
> /etc seems like the right spot. But if so, where in /etc?
>
> Adriana pointed me to the FSH guidelines[1] in a review which has the following:
> "It is recommended that files be stored in subdirectories of /etc rather than
> directly in /etc.".
>
> /etc/opt ?
> /etc/opt/phosphor/ ?
> /etc/opt/phosphor/<repository name>/ ?

Where did the "/opt/" bit come from? Please lets drop that.

IMO we should be using /etc/<application name>. Be mindful that one repository
can produce multiple applications, but what application sits in which repository
is a code organisation problem and not something that we should tie into system
configuration.

Andrew