where to store application json

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 07:30:36 AEST 2019

As we start moving more and more of our applications to using runtime parsed
json files, it seems like a good time to come up with a standard location to put
the json files. I think a requirement is they be in a writeable filesystem
(although that may bring security concerns) so that you can edit and restart
services that use them on the fly for bringup and debug.

/etc seems like the right spot. But if so, where in /etc?

Adriana pointed me to the FSH guidelines[1] in a review which has the following:
"It is recommended that files be stored in subdirectories of /etc rather than
directly in /etc.".

/etc/opt ?
/etc/opt/phosphor/ ?
/etc/opt/phosphor/<repository name>/ ?

Our use of /var/lib/ for persistent data uses a /var/lib/<repository name>
type directory syntax so staying consistent with that seems to make sense
leading me to think /etc/opt/<repository name>/ would be our best bet.

Thoughts?
Andrew

[1]: https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s07.html