QEMU and CI

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Tue Apr 9 12:55:17 AEST 2019

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 00:46, Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2019, at 04:56, Bills, Jason M wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm looking into what it might take to get the Intel S2600WF (Wolf Pass)
> > board running in QEMU and possibly CI.

You can boot your wolf pass image in the current qemu. To demonstrate
I grabbed a tiogapass flash image from CI and booted it:

$ arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm -M ast2500-evb -drive
file=flash-tiogapass,format=raw,if=mtd -serial mon:stdio  -nographic
root at tiogapass:~# cat /etc/os-release
ID="openbmc-phosphor"
NAME="Phosphor OpenBMC (Phosphor OpenBMC Project Reference Distro)"
VERSION="2.7.0-dev"
VERSION_ID="2.7.0-dev-347-gd631110d4"
PRETTY_NAME="Phosphor OpenBMC (Phosphor OpenBMC Project Reference
Distro) 2.7.0-dev"
BUILD_ID="2.7.0-dev"
OPENBMC_TARGET_MACHINE="tiogapass"

As Andrew said, your next step would be to add a wolfpass machine type
to upstream qemu. Take a look at the aspeed_boards array in
hw/arm/aspeed.c.

>From there the next step is to add the peripherals that your machine
has. This will involve writing models for the i2c devices you have
attached, and perhaps emulators for host connected devices (PECI?).
This could be more involved so please use the list to discuss your
plans.

There are also a large number of peripherals inside the ASPEED SoC
that lack models. Let us know on the list if you think you will start
working on one so we don't duplicate efforts.

Submit your patches against the upstream qemu tree. Andrew, Cedric and
I are the upstream maintainers so we will be on cc there.

Cheers,

Joel