QEMU and CI

Cédric Le Goater clg at kaod.org
Tue Apr 9 16:12:27 AEST 2019

On 4/9/19 4:55 AM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 00:46, Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Apr 2019, at 04:56, Bills, Jason M wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm looking into what it might take to get the Intel S2600WF (Wolf Pass)
>>> board running in QEMU and possibly CI.
>
> You can boot your wolf pass image in the current qemu. To demonstrate
> I grabbed a tiogapass flash image from CI and booted it:
>
> $ arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm -M ast2500-evb -drive
> file=flash-tiogapass,format=raw,if=mtd -serial mon:stdio  -nographic
> root at tiogapass:~# cat /etc/os-release
> ID="openbmc-phosphor"
> NAME="Phosphor OpenBMC (Phosphor OpenBMC Project Reference Distro)"
> VERSION="2.7.0-dev"
> VERSION_ID="2.7.0-dev-347-gd631110d4"
> PRETTY_NAME="Phosphor OpenBMC (Phosphor OpenBMC Project Reference
> Distro) 2.7.0-dev"
> BUILD_ID="2.7.0-dev"
> OPENBMC_TARGET_MACHINE="tiogapass"
>
> As Andrew said, your next step would be to add a wolfpass machine type
> to upstream qemu. Take a look at the aspeed_boards array in
> hw/arm/aspeed.c.

Yes. it should be relatively easy to add the machine.

> From there the next step is to add the peripherals that your machine
> has. This will involve writing models for the i2c devices you have
> attached, and perhaps emulators for host connected devices (PECI?).
> This could be more involved so please use the list to discuss your
> plans.

Yes please. It would be nice to have better support for I2C devices
and work on a simple interface (QMP based) to interact with them, so
that we can exercise the monitoring done by OpenBMC. PSU devices are
a good topic for that.

> There are also a large number of peripherals inside the ASPEED SoC
> that lack models. Let us know on the list if you think you will start
> working on one so we don't duplicate efforts.
>
> Submit your patches against the upstream qemu tree. Andrew, Cedric and
> I are the upstream maintainers so we will be on cc there.

We are keeping the models in development under in this tree :

   https://github.com/openbmc/qemu

Some have been there a bit too long because we lacked time to make
them ready but please prefer mainline. We rebase quite often anyhow.
I should push today a new version on 4.0-rc3.

Check out this page before sending :

   https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch

Thanks,

C.