Understand OpenBMC Event logging mechanism for beginner

jrey jrey at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Nov 30 09:54:48 AEDT 2018

On 2018-11-29 02:22, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> On 28/11/18 5:18 PM, A, Maheswari wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found some OpenBMC document to understand LED Control architecture.
>>
>> Document is very useful for beginner.
>>
>> But There is no document to understand workflow of OpenBMC event
>> management for beginner.
>

> Agree. I volunteer to write a document related to phosphor-logging.

I am interested in reviewing your doc.

I interpret Maheswari's original question as:
1. how to create a new event type,
2. how to generate an event (such as from a daemon monitoring a gpio
pin, or interactively from the command line or a test program),
3. how to monitor for event and write SELs, and
4. how to read SELs from the log.

That is, generating the SEL is the desired result, but I need to
understand the flow from end-to-end.

I assume there is code that already does each of these things.  Perhaps
your doc could walk us through it and explain each piece?

...snip...

>> Please clarify which recipes are needed to log events in BMC.
>>
>> Please explain some basic understanding to log test event.
>>
>> How do verify logged events .
>

> If you're just interested in IPMI SELs, you should look at those
> reviews I posted above. Were you looking at something else though as
> the external interface - such as Redfish?
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Maheswari A
>>

> Regards,
> Deepak