Understand OpenBMC Event logging mechanism for beginner

A, Maheswari maheswari.a at atos.net
Fri Nov 30 20:18:09 AEDT 2018

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your response.

I am referring the link you shared.

Thanks

Maheswari A

>> Hi,

>> I found some OpenBMC document to understand LED Control architecture.

>> Document is very useful for beginner.

>> But There is no document to understand workflow of OpenBMC event

>> management for beginner.

> Agree. I volunteer to write a document related to phosphor-logging.

I am interested in reviewing your doc.

I interpret Maheswari's original question as:

1. how to create a new event type,

2. how to generate an event (such as from a daemon monitoring a gpio pin, or interactively from the command line or a test program), 3. how to monitor for event and write SELs, and 4. how to read SELs from the log.

That is, generating the SEL is the desired result, but I need to understand the flow from end-to-end.

I assume there is code that already does each of these things.  Perhaps your doc could walk us through it and explain each piece?

...snip...

>> Please clarify which recipes are needed to log events in BMC.

>> Please explain some basic understanding to log test event.

>> How do verify logged events .

> If you're just interested in IPMI SELs, you should look at those

> reviews I posted above. Were you looking at something else though as

> the external interface - such as Redfish?

>> Thanks

>> Maheswari A

> Regards,

> Deepak