Understand OpenBMC Event logging mechanism for beginner

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 29 19:22:19 AEDT 2018

On 28/11/18 5:18 PM, A, Maheswari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found some OpenBMC document to understand LED Control architecture.
>
> Document is very useful for beginner.
>
> But There is no document to understand workflow of OpenBMC event
> management for beginner.

Agree. I volunteer to write a document related to phosphor-logging.

> We need to understand BMC SEL logging mechanism in OpenBMC.

You should look at
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/q/topic:%22IPMI+SEL%22. The high
level idea is to log SEL related messages and metadata to the journal,
and then have a deamon look at the journal to make a SEL repository.

>  1. BMC Need to log chassis intrusion SEL.
>  2. We need to log Event while Emergency Power OFF case .
>
> I hope below packages are concerns to record events.
>
> Phosphor-logging   ( getting fan ReadFailure log in REST command
> xyz.openproject.logging ).

phosphor-logging looks at journal metadata (placed in the journal via
the log<>() or elog<>() APIs) and makes D-Bus objects to represent
errors/events.

> Phosphor-event
>
> Phosphor-dbus-monitor
>
> obmc-event-mgmt is removed from stack.
>
> Please clarify which recipes are needed to log events in BMC.
>
> Please explain some basic understanding to log test event.
>
> How do verify logged events .

If you're just interested in IPMI SELs, you should look at those reviews
I posted above. Were you looking at something else though as the
external interface - such as Redfish?

> Thanks
>
> Maheswari A

Regards,