Proprietary task references in commit logs

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 14 14:30:47 AEDT 2018

Patrick Venture <venture at google.com> writes:
> Alexander;
>
> So, we've been in a similar boat, in that we have a Google-Bug-Id in
> all our commits.  However, for openbmc we've been trimming them out.
> I think part of the argument is to keep the commit message clean, or
> if necessary file a corresponding bug in the openbmc bug track, and
> then close that bug id.

I've been poked at this for other firmware too, and I tend to dislike
non-public bug tracker IDs in public repositories.

I have an idea of using git-notes to have a local tree of `fixes` (even
added retroactively) that could then be queried/modified that would suit
this kind of use case.

Of course, finding enough time to write the couple of hundred lines of
python to do that has been elusive :)

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.