Initial MCTP design proposal

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Fri Dec 7 16:06:39 AEDT 2018

Hi Nilan,

Thanks for taking a look.

> As far as the features that need to be supported, we are initially
> interested in PCIe VDM and SMBus/I2C hardware bindings.

OK, sure thing. Is this on ASPEED hardware?

>   The BMC will also need to be the Bus owner for the interfaces.
>  It is not clear to be yet if we would also need bridging for our
> initial use cases.

Yes, I think this matches our designs too; I don't see us needing
bridging at present.

>   The message types that we need to support are NVMe-SI, PLDM and
> Vendor Defined - PCI (0x7E). We currently don't have a strong need for
> supporting the host interface.

Oh, interesting, I didn't expect folks to be using MCTP but not
including the host channel. There's no issue with that, so I'll update
the wording so it's clear that this can be accommodated.

Cheers,

Jeremy