Discussion on IPMI provider libraries

tomjose tomjose at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 8 21:09:13 AEDT 2016

On Tuesday 08 November 2016 01:55 AM, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> Sharing the provider libraries makes sense; my first area of concern
> is the API; I am currently working on a change to the API (see
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/841/
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/841/> for details); I would
> prefer you do not make any changes to the current API, but understand
> if the need arises before my change is ready.
 From what i have noticed in the patch, there is support for
ipmid_callback_t handlers  as it is now. So the change in API is to
accommodate the OEM group ?
So do you have plans to change the callback signatures for the standard
commands already implemented in host-ipmid?

> Could you elaborate on how you plan on enforcing privilege? Having
> each provider check privilege level seems like a leaky abstraction to
> me; I think it would make more sense to have privilege managed by the
> host-ipmid and the net-ipmid.
Table G - Command Number Assignments and Privilege Levels in the IPMI
specification gives more details on this.

Each command is assigned a privilege level( Callback, User, Operator,
Admin) which means that the command can be executed only on a session
with this privilege or higher.
So if a command needs be executed on net-ipmid path, one of the
attribute needed for net-ipmid is the command's privilege level.
The privilege provided by each command is a registration parameter and
it is consumed only by net-ipmid.

As part of the same issue, i am separating commands that need to be
executed from system interface as a separate library.

The provider libraries is now copied into /usr/lib/host-ipmid. The plan
is to have the /usr/lib/ipmid-providers as the default install location
for all providers
and then symlink into /usr/lib/host-ipmid and /usr/lib/net-ipmid
depending on whether the provider library is needed in out-of-band or
in-band path.